What's new
Search

Politics 'We NEED to take on Reform!' Former Culture Secretary claims Tories 'need someone who is not afraid'

Gabrielle Wilde

Guest Reporter
The former Culture Secretary has said that "we need someone who is not afraid to take on Reform" as she revealed that she would be backing Kemi Badenoch in the Conservative leadership race.

Speaking to GB News, Michelle Donelan explained: "I personally backed Kemi Badenoch. I've done that from the very beginning of this contest.

"I've done that because I think that she's straight talking. She's a fresh face with some experience, though, and I think that if we're going to take this fight to Reform as well as Labour, we're going to need somebody that is not afraid to mince their words."

Michelle Dewberry asked her: "Were you cringing when she was talking about this maternity stuff?"

Michelle Donelan

She explained: "So on that there's absolutely no question that maternity pay should not be any lower than it is.

"In fact, I think personally we should have a review as to what the rate should be and what the bigger issue should be on the table, which is the question of why a birth rate so low, which is storing up a problem for future generations.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

"But Kemi has been quite clear that she she didn't mean that she meant the question about business regulation and taxation.

"We all know what it's like when you're in an interview.

"I do, especially if you're trying to get everything out, if you possibly can in a short space of time. This is her way to communicate with members as well.

"She wanted to say what she wanted to say. Basically, the interviewer wanted to talk about something else and the two kind of mashed together.

Kemi Badenoch

"So the output got a bit confusing. But she has got a big point about business regulation.

"Businesses have faced far too much regulation and taxation over the years."

The shadow communities secretary's comments, made during a Times Radio interview on Sunday, sparked a heated debate within the party and beyond.

Badenoch initially suggested that statutory maternity pay was "excessive", describing it as "a function of tax" where money is taken from one group and given to another.

Michelle Donelan

Following the backlash, Badenoch took to social media platform X to clarify her position. She wrote: "Contrary to what some have said, I clearly said the burden of regulation on businesses had gone too far... of course I believe in maternity pay!

Badenoch's comments drew swift reactions from her leadership rivals. Robert Jenrick openly disagreed, stating: "I don't agree with Kemi on this one. I am a father of three young daughters. I want to see them get the support that they need when they enter the workplace."

Tom Tugendhat emphasised the importance of choice for women, saying: "It's not for me to tell you whether you should go to work or stay at home or which job to do or how many kids to have, that's none of my business."

James Cleverly distanced himself from the controversy, simply stating: "You need to ask Kemi about Kemi's comments."

Find Out More...

Top Bottom