What's new
Search

News Neighbours throw dog poo on homeowner's walls amid row over blocked footpath - but he claims it's HIS land

George Bunn

Guest Reporter
the-closed-footpath.png

A homeowner has said a row over a blocked footpath has led to neighbours throwing dog poo and weed at him.

The conflict broke out months ago over the disputed closure in Woodland Drive, Hove, East Sussex, but perpetrators the Shahin family say it's their land.

The conflict first began last October when a wall blew down in a storm into a well-used public footpath that runs between two exclusive £1.2million homes.

The owner of the house was meant to carry out the work. However, they then vacated the property, with bricks and fencing left lying dangerously in the footpath. Residents in the neighbouring house erected a nine-foot wire fence blocking off the public right of way.

The closed footpath

The family claimed the passageway between the two properties was not a public right of way and was actually owned by them. They wrote to the council asserting their right to the land claiming they had previously granted "permissive access" to the footpath but were now withdrawing it.

A clash soon followed as neighbours claim they have used the passageway for decades to walk their dogs in nearby woods and visit a row of shops.

Last week, council workers visited the scene so they could assess repairs to the storm-damaged wall. However, on arrival, they were confronted by Sohail Shahin, 30, the son of the homeowner, who disputed their right to access the footpath.

Workers from Brighton & Hove City Council called the police to accompany them in their task. Eventually, they were able to get the homeowner to remove padlocks on the fencing and gained access to the passageway.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

Hove Town Hall

Owner of the property Nader Shahin said: "The council know about our legal claim to this land. We have always granted permissive access to it but it’s not safe now.

"The row with our neighbours has been terrible. I have had people throwing dog mess into my house, people urinating against my walls and people spitting into my garden. It’s really very, very stressful. I can’t believe it has blown up into such a commotion but we are only doing what is right.

"I have lived here for the past 22 years and brought up my family here. I feel we are being unfairly vilified. But the council has to realise that we have a claim on the land."

Sohail Shahin said: "This is going straight to a court of law. We’ll sue the council for this. They’re claiming it is a public right of way but they’re just trying to take what is rightfully ours."

One council worker told The Sun: "It’s outrageous that police have been called to ensure our safety. We shouldn’t have to face abuse and threats when we are just trying to do our work.

"This is a public right of way and needs to be opened up to the public as soon as possible. It has been used for decades by the public and suddenly this family claim they own it. It doesn’t add up."

Cabinet member for Transport, Parking and Public Realm at Brighton & Hove City Council Councillor Trevor Muten said: "We have now made a legal order confirming our ownership of the land and our team has been back today to fully assess the damage to the wall so work can begin as soon as possible and the footpath can start being used again."

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: "We assisted the local authority in case of breach of peace. No arrests were made."

Find Out More...

Top Bottom