What's new
Search

News Mike Tyson's demand to change rules to Jake Paul fight leaves YouTube star furious

Callum Vurley

Guest Reporter
image.jpg

Mike Tyson's demand to change the rules to their upcoming fight has left Jake Paul furious.

The YouTube sensation has hit out at his upcoming opponent as they prepare to fight on November 15 at the AT&T Stadium, Arlington in Texas.

Tyson will return to the ring for the first time in a professional bout since 2005, aged 58, with some concerned about the fact he will face someone 31 years younger than him.

The rules have been tweaked already, though, with the clash being set over eight two-minute rounds, a request made by Iron Mike.

Mike Tyson

But Paul has insisted that the fight should go ahead with traditional rules - 12 rounds of three minutes each.

He told Mail Sport: "It's interesting, I'm just, I'm just basing s*** off of facts.

"He's like, 'Watch your shape, watch your shape'. I'm like, 'Alright, but you watch it'.

"It could be to his advantage. I think it's also smart that he's doing that. I'm fighting on all of his rules and what he wanted.

"He wanted it to be a pro fight. He wanted eight, two-minute rounds. So I'm giving him everything he wants.

JUST IN: NBA legend Dikembe Mutombo dies aged 58 after battling brain cancer

"I'm going to his playground, and I'm going to beat his a**. I mean, it's just being alert and knowing what to do in that situation.

"I could definitely see him trying to go for an early KO, but he'll find out very quickly that I also have a ton of power.

"So doing that with a guy like me isn't always the smartest thing to do, because I'll catch one of his shots then counter."

READ MORE: Inside Ronnie O'Sullivan's mum's feud with Laila Rouass after alleged 's**g' insult

Jake Paul

Tyson has only fought once since his 2005 defeat to Kevin McBride that saw him retire on the stool before hanging up his gloves.

That was an exhibition bout against fellow veteran Roy Jones Jr in 2020 where the two rarely threatened to show their true power as the match ended in a draw.

Facing Paul will be a very different proposition with the 27-year-old the favourite to land victory despite facing one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time.

LATEST SPORT NEWS:

Jake Paul

But Tyson's advanced age means he might not be able to demonstrate his monstrous power that he exhibited in his youth and saw him become a household name.

Paul, meanwhile, has a record of 10-1 in professional fights - though his one loss came against the only boxer he has ever taken on, being defeated by Tommy Fury in February 2023.

However, there are question marks over whether the clash against Tyson should go ahead considering that the former heavyweight champion suffered a health scare that saw the original bout postponed.

Find Out More...

Top Bottom