What's new
Search

News Elon Musk blasts Britain for 'releasing paedophiles' - but Starmer STILL wants his money in the UK

James Saunders

Guest Reporter
elon-musk.jpg

Social media tycoon Elon Musk has blasted Britain for "releasing convicted paedophiles" online - but Sir Keir Starmer has admitted he would "encourage" his investment in the UK.

Musk had failed to secure an invitation to an investment summit in the UK - with a BBC report blaming his online comments during the summer's unrest for his snub.

As riots unfolded across the country, the billionaire had shared false claims on his social media platform, X, claiming Britain was building "detainment camps" in the Falkland Islands for rioters.

He had also predicted the country would sink into civil war - as well as continuously making jabs at the PM online.

I don’t think anyone should go to the UK when they’re releasing convicted pedophiles in order to imprison people for social media posts

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 26, 2024

But now, the PM has insisted that he would "encourage investment from anywhere" in response to the BBC report.

Starmer told the broadcaster: "Good investment into the UK is what I'm very, very keen to promote.

"Every time I'm abroad, every time on an international trip, we do these investment breakfasts, because I'm absolutely determined to get the investment that we needed into the economy.

"And I do think we've got a real opportunity with a new chapter now," he added.

MORE ON MUSK:

Starmer at investment breakfast

In his role as social media magnate, Musk has been the most vocal about UK hate speech laws - and how multiple people were imprisoned for inciting racial hatred online.

As a result, Musk missed out - prompting him to land a blow on Britain in response to a post reading: "UK snubs Elon because he criticised oppression of free speech".

He wrote on social media: "I don't think anyone should go to the UK when they're releasing convicted paedophiles in order to imprison people for social media posts!"

It's not just Musk who has been critical of the snub - former Chancellor Jeremy Hunt told the BBC it was a "big loss" not to have the Tesla and SpaceX owner at the summit.

Jeremy Hunt

"He told me last year he was planning a new car plant in Europe and had not decided where but the UK was a candidate," Hunt claimed.

Back then, Musk had been extended an invitation by the Tory Government to attend an AI summit and sit with then-PM Rishi Sunak for a fireside talk.

Elsewhere, political pundits have bemoaned the billionaire's forced no-show.

Former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie, who hailed Musk as "the most creative commercial tech entrepreneur of any era", told GB News that "this country needs Elon Musk a lot more than Elon Musk needs the UK".

Find Out More...

Top Bottom